Welcome

This is the story of "dandelion" and her life's journey with Type 1 diabetes. Although I am speaking from the point of view of a mother, I am hoping that she will speak through me and eventually write her own posts.

Sit back and enjoy as we take you through the ups, downs and all arounds of dandelion's wishes.


Tuesday 26 April 2011

That was then, this is now


And so a dandelion grows... as did our knowledge of just how much our lives would be affected by "sugar" diabetes.  How ignorant we were about this disease and I need to remind myself of this when people make their uninformed comments or questions of us. "Well, at least it's managable." "She'll need to eat properly now" "Did she eat a lot of sugar when she was young?" Yes, those comments could have been made by me before. It seems like so long ago. That is one of the reasons this blog is going to be good for my daughter and myself (and hopefully you :o). It will remind us of how far we've come in our journey from the blissfull ignorance of knowing so little to the frustration of knowing so much more but never, never enough to consistently keep all her blood glucose levels within the optimal range.

And we're still learning... but instead of learning about the disease itself, we're now trying to learn how to transfer our passion as parents for the best bg management on to our daughter who has so many other important areas of her life. She no longer wants to be known as "the diabetes girl" or have the teachers meet with us before the school year to go over all the intricacies of diabetes managment. How do we let go after 9 years of constant worry and let our daughter take on what she sees as her independence.

I guess we take it one day a time.

grace :o)

4 comments:

  1. We've been at this for 5 years now here and can totally agree that there always seem to be something new that we are learning about D. We haven't gotten to the point of "letting go" at this point although I know the time will come where she is ready for the "independence" too...not sure I'll ever totally be ready for that

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle,
    Who says I'm ready?! I'm fighting all the way and knowing I shouldn't. Dandelion wants the responsibility but not the RESPONSIBILTY :o) Big difference. Complications are mere words because at this age, my child feels invincible. I know she's not. So how do you let go and let live? With me, it's a slow process. Wow, if I thought parenting was hard with my two boys (25 and 27 years old) add diabetes and you have a whole new world. Not to mention that she's a budding young woman.
    So ready or not...
    g :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One step, one day at a time...that's for sure!
    We're in the 'early days' of this D journey and I have glimpses some days of Bean as a young woman, on her own, and it's something I look forward to and dread at the same time!
    Little by little, we and they will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mere thought of letting go terrifies me! But I'm sure I will get through as you will...one day at a time. All the best to you as you navigate these new waters!

    Please keep writing. Those of us who are a few years behind you will certainly learn a lot from you!

    Thanks for adding my button to your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete